Sunday, January 19, 2014

Why I Will Not Watch the Superbowl

“Back Again to Hard Study”
Harper's Weekly, September 27, 1902
Artist: William A. Rogers

"...the people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions, and all else, now meddle no more and longs eagerly for just two things — bread and circuses." - Juvenal, Roman Satirist, 55-127 CE

I have a huge problem with American Football, and by extension all professional sports. I believe that pro-sports truly characterizes our society's most serious short-comings. If we liken ourselves to Rome, then professional sports are our "bread and circuses." As it was during the Roman Empire, 21st century sporting events are used to quell the masses into a state of apathy. In the waning years of the empire, Rome's senators were mere puppets in the face of expanding imperial power. The duties of citizenship fell out of style as Romans engorged themselves on entertainment and free food. According to George Mason University historian Peter Stearns,

"Rome's upper classes became steadily more pleasure-seeking, turning away from the political devotion and economic vigor that characterized the republic and early empire." (World Civilizations, 4th Ed., page 100)

Let me ask you are few questions. First, are you more dedicated to watching your favorite team than to voting in off-year elections? Do you spend money on tickets and sports paraphernalia but vote down the school budget initiatives? Do you know more about last night's game than you do about Obamacare? If you've answered negatively to these questions, then fine, go enjoy the game. But if you have answered affirmatively, then you are part of the problem.

First, a little history. Believe it or not professional sports have not always been a part of American life. We somehow subsisted for years without it. Sports grew up with the Industrial Age. Once working hours became standardized, entertainment industries grew to fill in the "leisure time" that many middle and upper class Americans enjoyed on evenings and weekends. Football started at college campuses in the 1860s and the NFL didn't get off the ground until 1920. In addition to football, Americans entertained themselves by attending baseball games and boxing matches. Before the T.V. Americans who could not attend the games would often congregate around the the radio.

Fast forward to 2014. The amount of money spent on professional sports is astronomical and quite frankly, more than a little ridiculous. It's not the players' fault. We live in a mostly free-market society where prices are determined by the laws of supply and demand. And we have demanded more and more entertainment.

I, for one, have chosen not to demand college or professional sports. Here are a few reasons why:

1. It all starts with college football: To be quite honest it starts in high school. I've witnessed first-hand the difference in the level of excitement over football victories vs. debate team victories. I work in a high school that has won State Championships in debate and football. The debate team has never left for a tournament with the band playing (though, most of the debate kids would be utterly mortified if that ever happened.) That being said, I realize that for most people watching a football game is more interesting than a debate round. However, it is evidence that our society is actively devaluing education.

My biggest problem with professional sports is actually their connection to college sports. We use colleges as a training ground for the professional arena. However, this system is incredibly flawed. In her recent study, UNC learning specialist and whistleblower, Mary Willingham, reported that she had athletes coming to her with a third grade reading level. Willingham's research led her to conclude that about 60% of the school's revenue-producing athletes read between a 4th and 8th grade level and as many as 10% were reading at a 3rd grade level. (Full story here) UNC fraud also extended to athletes gaining credit for classes that never met, and for forgery on grade reports. (AP)

Unfortunately, the abuse does not stop at UNC. As many as 50% of athletes are clustered in about three different majors - a statistic that I find suspicious even if it does not necessarily prove that they have easier classes.(AP) A CNN investigation following Willingham's report confirmed lower standards are common in major public colleges across the country. The NCAA reported that about 30 students playing on revenue-making sports teams have SAT scores below 700 - unacceptable - but still a fairly low number of students proportional to the number of revenue-producing collegiate athletes. Deeper investigations, however, showed the following:

"...a CNN investigation revealed that most schools have between 7% and 18% of revenue sport athletes who are reading at an elementary school level. Some had even higher percentages of below-threshold athletes.

According to those academic experts, the threshold for being college-literate is a score of 400 on the SAT critical reading or writing test. On the ACT, that threshold is 16.

Many student-athletes scored in the 200s and 300s on the SAT critical reading test -- a threshold that experts told us was an elementary reading level and too low for college classes. The lowest score possible on that part of the SAT is 200, and the national average is 500.

On the ACT, we found some students scoring in the single digits, when the highest possible score is 36 and the national average is 20. In most cases, the team average ACT reading score was in the high teens." (Full story here)

In short, this is appalling to me. It literally depresses me that many of our learning institutions value revenue-producing sports over education. It saddens me that adults are putting teenagers in situations like this, thereby teaching them a host of twisted lessons: "It is more valuable that you entertain people than it is for you learn to read and write." "When it comes to making money it's okay to bend the rules." "It doesn't matter that hardworking students are not getting into this school because you are here, they are inherently less valuable than you because they are geeks and you are a jock." Not only are many football and basketball athletes the least qualified, but they are also the most popular students on campus! (That being said, I'll take an enginerd with a pocket protector over an athlete any day.) You do not see this same level of misappropriation of values when it comes to education in Europe or Asia. Colleges are a place to learn. Done. I'm not saying that they are better places to live; both regions do have their share of problems and soccer/cricket rivalries, but when it comes to education I'd feel far more at home in a place like Finland.

2. The NFL is a tax-exempt organization: I believe it is wrong that the NFL is categorized as a 501(c)(6) organization which exempts it from paying taxes. Granted, the teams themselves pay taxes, it's just the National Football League that is exempt. However, the NFL can pay its commissioner $30 million dollars annually, while it cannot afford to pay taxes? Additionally, cities have used public funds to build stadiums. They claim it's alright because it boosts the local economy in the neighborhoods surrounding the stadium - which is true - for about 12 days of the year. Hard to believe? See this related article on NPR.

3. Children in Africa don't have access to clean water while we pay $5 for a Coke at our local NFL stadium. I just can't get behind an industry where the average revenue for a team is 1.17 billion dollars. (And yes, you can say the same of Hollywood, but my support of that industry is pretty much limited to $1 Redbox movies.) The other day I saw a story on Al Jazeera about a Syrian refugee who was being forced into marriage with a landlord to save her family from eviction. I just can't cheer on overpaid athletes while THIS is happening around the world. The money you spent on that overpriced stadium Coke could vaccinate several children.

4. Football players are not people I respect: I love dogs, so I despise Michael Vick. As the mother of a dog who was most likely abused in her former life, there is no one I'd like to beat up more than Michael Vick. If I ever encounter him I will have to consciously restrain myself from delivering a swift kick between his legs to defend the honor of my dog and all dogs who've been abused by such lowlifes. (Although, most likely I wouldn't even recognize Vick in the first place.) Last year I met a dog scarred by the abuse that he took as a bait dog in a dog-fighting ring. I'll never forget that. The fact that Vick is out of jail and playing for the Philadelphia Eagles enrages me. I hate Vick so much that I commanded my husband to NEVER draft Vick for Fantasy Football. (My husband dutifully obeyed, but I think more because of Vick's lack of football prowess than for any moral reasons.)

There is always the claim the football players have a penchant for domestic violence. Now statistically, NFL players actually have a much lower rate of domestic violence than the general population. According to a Duke University study, the domestic violence rate among NFL players is half of what it is among the general population. However, what would happen if you were to compare football players with other members of the same educational or socioeconomic status? The study admits that there is no data to run this comparison, but hypothesizes that you would see a very different conclusion. College-educated, upper-income Americans tend to have fewer domestic violence convictions. Is this true of college-educated, multi-million dollar athletes? I don't know. But what I do know is that when they get in trouble they often get off easy and suffer few consequences for their actions.

5. I'd rather go run than sit on my arse and watch other people do it: This is really a personal preference thing. When I watch the Olympics I kind of feel like a slacker. (Even though I workout about 5 hours a week and recently ran a half marathon.) When I watch someone else running, I always feel like I should be doing it too. I truly don't understand how people can sit on their couches and eat queso while watching other people burn calories.

6. Football players are gross. Another personal preference thing - In short, when I pursue media, I generally gravitate toward figures with whom I would enjoy spending time with. I'm pretty sure I could while away a good hour or two talking to J.K. Rowling, Julian Fellowes, Doris Kearns Goodwin, or Diane Rehm. I will not watch football because, quite frankly, I think football players are gross and scary looking. If I were to meet one for coffee I'd have nothing to talk about. I'd probably run and hide.

In conclusion

Most people I hang around are fairly intelligent human beings who manage to watch football, vote AND support education. That's fine, I don't judge you. My husband is one of those people and I love him (Though he's smart enough to know that when Downton Abbey comes on, football goes away!)

I have personally made the choice to abstain from supporting the industry until teachers are paid the same as football players. This means I will not be watching the Superbowl or any of the ads. On Superbowl Sunday I will curl up in my reading loft with a good book and a hot cup of tea. My husband and dog will watch the Superbowl together - unless Michael Vick is playing. If Michael Vick is playing my dog will not be watching.







No comments: