So I have this weird fascination with hoarders. I really don't understand it; I've watched those shows on a few occasions and I am just so enthralled by them. Maybe it's because my psychological disorders tend to shift in the other direction (my husband will attest to this as he often comes home to find much of his stuff "missing" when it's actually just been put away) or maybe it's just because hoarder shows appeal to that natural human penchant of self-righteousness. We watch them because we feel better about ourselves in the end. I don't know what it is, but Dirty Little Secrets drew me into the story of Lucy, a girl trying to hide her mother's hoarding tendencies by remaining aloof and secretive with those closest to her.
This is the story of a teen girl who lives a normal life on the outside, but never lets anyone on the inside - both literally and figuratively. The last time a repair man was at the house he refused to do the work because he could not get through the piles of stuff. As a result, Lucy and her mother live without hot water and with no working kitchen appliances. Lucy routinely showers at the local gym and spends as much time as she possibly can at her best friend's house.
As far as teen books go, this was filled with your typical plot points - boys, friends, school, etc. However, the hoarding element was something new. Lucy hates her mother's lifestyle and is pained by her mother's deteriorating health, which is exacerbated by the conditions in the home. Lucy tries desperately to clean up the house at times, but to no avail. Her mother won't stand for it; everything in the home is a "treasure." When Lucy finally makes a best friend and begins to make some progress with a boy she likes, you, the reader desperately hopes that she will come clean (pun fully intended). All you want is for Lucy to tell someone, to give her friends a little credit and trust them to stick with her despite the mess.
While I will not reveal the ending of the book, I will tell you that it left me extremely dissatisfied. Thankfully, a student informed me that there was on additional chapter on the author's website. This did help to bring the sense of closure that I needed; although in truth, I must wonder, is there ever total closure when one's childhood is shaped by a hoarding parent?
Ok, now I need to go vacuum something.
No comments:
Post a Comment