
Now here is a futuristic dystopian society that I actually like. Kacvinsky's Awaken probably does not have its intended effect on those of us who are homebodies. Kacvinsky creates a society in which fear and technology have evolved to form a world where people rarely leave the house. All shopping is done online, and "going to the movies" with a friend means that both individuals are watching in the same movie, at the same time, in separate places. Coffee houses are virtually nonexistent. Having coffee with a friend means making coffee at home and chatting together online. I've got to admit, none of this sounds all that bad to me. Granted, I'd much rather go running outside than have a simulator creating a virtual beach around my treadmill - but then again - that would be a very cool treadmill. Other than the fake trees and faux grass, I'm pretty much completely on board with this dystopian society!
This is the story of a teenage girl named Maddie, whose father is the wealthy head of the virtual schooling program that has been mandated nationwide. Parents, afraid of the growing violence in society, have chosen to sequester their children at home. All socialization occurs virtually, away from the threat of school shooters, drug dealers, and rapists. In the confines of their homes, students build multiple online profiles. They form relationships on various levels, carefully maintain their chosen personas, and never, ever get a scratch or a scar.
Maddie tried, and failed, to fight against her cloistered existence years ago. Despite her hacking prowess, she was not able to escape her father's clutches and the omniscience of computers. Maddie's first attempts to take down Digital School were found out, and rather than getting sent to a reeducation facility, Maddie was put on a sort of internet probation. Certain sites are blocked and her activities are closely monitored - at least those that are online.
But when Maddie ventures out from the online realm she's able to live for the first time. She meets - and falls in love with - the leader of an organization seeking to take down Digital School and stop the technological brainwashing. For the first time she makes real, face-to-face friendships. Society has become so dependent on monitoring what people do online that it doesn't know how to handle plots that are devised offline. These social misfits meet in underground coffeehouses and dance clubs. They eschew the belief that technology can improve our lives. Sure, it keeps us safe, but at what cost? When Maddie's new round of rebellious behavior is found out, she is once again in danger of being sent to a reeducation facility. But the world has become so dependent on technology that when she ventures off the grid she cannot be tracked. She is indeed awakened. She is awakened to the camaraderie of friends, to the salty sea air of a real beach, to the blazing warmth of a bonfire. She receives her first scars - both physical and emotional. She gets her first broken heart - and her first mended one. She finds that real life begins when we switch off the devices and actually choose to look at one another.
Despite my earlier comments about being a homebody, I do understand what this author is trying to communicate. I enjoy that technology allows me to shop from home, keep up with dear friends miles away, and get information instantaneously. However, for many of us, it can be a crutch used to replace meaningful interaction. Technology is a way for us to mask our insecurities and to create a persona who is - at least in part- a fictional one. And technology responds in kind. Amazon knows what I like, Facebook knows what's on my mind, and Google always reads my email. It's safe to say that my internet browser knows me better than many of my friends do.
I think in realizing my initial positive response to this futuristic society, I've realized a flaw in my own character. Where other fictional dystopias have repulsed and scared me, I find myself hunkered down in the midst of a snowy winter, wishing I lived in Katie Kacvinsky's world. In the warmer months I do enjoy being outside - taking my dog for long walks, picking berries at our local CSA, and running miles in the early mornings. But even these things are generally solitary activities for me. I rarely socialize outside of work. Of course, I'm not always running to technology. Oftentimes I'd just prefer to be home with a book. I'm more comfortable with fictional companions that real ones. I'm never disappointed when plans are cancelled or when the weather gets in the way of a social gathering. I go to parties rather begrudgingly. While reading this book, a snowstorm enabled me to stay sequestered in my house for five days straight. Not once in that block of time did I crave human outside contact. I was quite content with my husband and my dog. I don't know if it's safety that keeps me at home as much as comfort. I really like my house and I have everything I need here.
I'll never stop being an introvert, and I don't think Kacvinsky's book is really intending to make us all extroverts. But it is cause for reflection. Technology allows my introversion to thrive - to an unhealthy level. I believe it can be detrimental for extroverts too. Extroverts seem to get a whole lot more text messages than I do, (I get 2-3 a week and usually from my mom) but they also seem to to be juggling several conversations at once, and trying to keep up their personas in each one. So, rather you are an extrovert or an introvert, a homebody or a partygoer, I think this book does give us reason to pause. To think. To perhaps intentionally change our relationship with the Internet - or at least to be conscious of how it's changing us.
No comments:
Post a Comment