Of all the things we often take for granted one of them is going to the dentist. We hate the dentist, but ever since I traveled to Kosovo and saw the effects of not going to the dentist I've been so thankful for every visit.
That said, I've learned an important lesson in the past week. Always go to the dentist well in advance of the date you leave for an extended trip to Europe. You see, I thought that having cavities filled three weeks before I left would be quite enough time to solve any unwanted complications. Apparently however, when the cavity is deep you will be saddled with prolonged sensitivity and the potential for a latent infection. In short, it's best to go to the dentist months, not weeks in advance of a trip.
So here's the life lesson I'm taking from this. Every aspect of the next three weeks is in God's hands. From my health, to my safety, to my teeth. This past year I have been functioning quite independently of the God who calls us repeatedly to lean on Him. I remember the days in my first two years of teaching when the drive to school each morning was a prolonged prayer session, when early morning workouts were a chance to listen to sermons, when I made it a point to read and study Biblical literature and write pithy theological essays. This year I've been handling my career, my coursework, and my life pretty much on my own. I suppose there have been a few moments when the coaching gig has propelled me into some desperate prayer, but other than that I've taken life into my own hands. I haven't cried out in true helplessness in quite awhile.
Independence, comfort, and safety is always the easy default. Northern Virginia is now my home, classrooms are my sanctuary, debate tournaments are my social life (sad, but true). During the next three weeks I'm leaving that all behind. I am actually quite terrified. You see, planning this trip was a lot more exciting two months ago as I was sifting through travel guides and pricing out flights. Tonight, rather than thinking of this as a grand adventure my mind is starting to parcel through a highly imaginative list of all the things that could go wrong. Getting an abscess tooth is right at the top.
In truth however, I'm seeking out more than castles and museums, I'm seeking a renewed sense of faith. I'm trusting that the trains will run, the planes will fly, and dental emergencies will either be averted or dealt with. I'm trusting that God will take care of me tomorrow, and all the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment