
I’ve met a lot of people here in the suburbs who don’t like dogs. That’s inconceivable to me. Growing up in the country everybody had animals of some sort – and to be honest I’ve always been slightly judgmental of a person who can’t love a dog. What’s not to love?
I really like Marley and Me. It’s the only movie in the world that can make me cry. In fact I’m not a crier – I’ve cried about twice in the past year – the two times I saw Marley and Me. Why am I so attached to dogs?
I think, simply put, it’s encapsulated in John Grogan’s super-cliché last line in the film: “A dog doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull, just give him your heart and he’ll give you his.”
You don’t have to earn a dog’s love. Dogs depend on you, but they don’t get mad if you forget to feed them. Dogs don’t fight with you like teenagers do. Little kids may be utterly dependant on you, but they also throw temper tantrums. People in general are horribly selfish. I don’t get that from a dog. All they do is chew your shoes and eat the hamburger off your plate when you’re not looking. I can handle that.
People are hard to please. People create stress and strife. Most people have a very conditional love. Even if they love you, there is usually someone else they care about more. I like how dogs don’t operate that way. The way they love you is pretty simple and full and consistent. I know they’re not created in the image of God and all that…but again…maybe truth is found in the unlikeliest of places. You can learn a lot about unconditional love from a dog.
When it comes to dogs giving and receiving love is easy. In all other cases it’s pretty hard. Drama and selfishness get in the way. It’s nice to have things come easy sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment